Paneer Bhurji is prepared with crumbled paneer. It is a very popular and delicious North Indian breakfast and lunch recipe. Bhurji means scrambled. So the paneer aka cottage cheese is scrambled in this platter. The entire dish is cooked with onions-tomatoes along with spices which are added to the crumbled paneer. It is a quick recipe that does not take long to prepare. It’s always better to use homemade paneer for preparing any paneer dish. But if you don’t have time, you can always buy fresh paneer from any market or dairy store. Check out what all ingredients you need and Step by Step Guide to Prepare Paneer Bhurji at Home.
Step by Step Guide For the Dish
- 200 grams paneer, crumbled (cottage cheese)
- 1 medium-sized onion – finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes – finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chillies – finely chopped
- 3 to 4 small garlic cloves
- ½ inch ginger (or 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons oil, ghee, butter or white butter
- salt as required
- a few coriander leaves (cilantro leaves) for garnishing, optional
- Firstly, take 200 grams paneer and crumble it and keep it aside.
- Now, take the onions, tomatoes and green chillies and chop them and keep it aside.
- In a mortar pestle, crush the ginger garlic and keep it aside.
- You can also use readymade ginger-garlic paste which you can get from any store.
- Remove and keep aside the spice powders.
- Take a non-stick pan and heat oil or ghee or butter.
- Once, the oil is hot, add cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds turn brown and splutter, add onions. Keep stirring.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies as the onions become translucent.
- Saute up until the ginger-garlic paste raw smell goes away.
- After which add tomatoes and cook until tender.
- You can add some pinch of salt to allow the tomatoes to cook faster.
- Then add spice powders except for garam masala.
- Keep stirring.
- Then finally add the crumbled paneer and allow to cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Do not cook the paneer longer as they tend to get hard losing their softness.
- Finally, add chopped coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot Paneer Bhurji with toast.
- You can also serve it as a side dish, with Rotis or parathas.